Data Migration Engineer
The Data Migration Engineer manages migration of large-scale and complex data systems from one source system to another. Responsible for analyzing data to be migrated, transforming data according to customer requirements, and ensuring the integrity of the data. This person will formulate data migration plans and strategies and provide expert knowledge to internal integration engineers and external customers. This person regularly meets with internal and external stakeholders to assess data migration needs, evaluate existing systems, document data migration requirements, and implement appropriate data migration solutions. Coordinates and reviews work with other engineers, tests and approves deliverables prior to deployment.
- Work with Systems Integration Engineers, Project Managers and Customers in gathering the scope, structure, and format of data to be migrated.
- Collaborate with Engineering Manager to develop an overall migration strategy including planning documents and reviews deliverables with SME’s and key stakeholders involved in projects.
- Participate in design and planning activities, following Agile methodology.
- Deploy custom data migration solutions to Dev, Test and Production environments and identify and report issues encountered when performing data transfers and processing using custom migration utilities.
- Communicate progress, issues, and risks during periodic status meetings. Creates custom reports to track migration status and work with other engineers to ensure technical problems which might impact other projects are communicated to avoid problem repeat.
- Run QA scripts to ensure migrated data meets customer requirements and has been fully validated and work with Systems Integration Engineers to resolve issues encountered during integration testing.
Mandatory Experience & Education:
- Must have bachelor’s degree and excellent written/verbal communication skills in English
- 5+ years of experience working in a Software Engineer or Data Engineer role preferred.
- Strong experience installing, configuring, and maintaining Linux servers.
- Strong scripting experience using languages such as Python, Node.js, and Linux Shell.
- Experience working with RDMS (Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server) and executing complex SQL statements.
- Excellent Linux troubleshooting skills.
- Familiarity with networking protocols such as TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP
- Experience working with one of the major cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience with fingerprint, facial or other biometric technologies (e.g. software, standards, devices) is a huge plus but not required